7/09/2009

Lolli-pop Culture

I remember the song "Lollipop" from the soundtrack to the movie Stand By Me. I didn't realize until I was older that the songs from this movie were all outdated favorites at the time this movie was released. It's one of those songs that will always be in my head because I learned it so early on:

Lollipop, lollipop
Oh lolli, lolli, lolli
Lollipop, lollipop
Oh lolli, lolli, lolli . . .

In fact I'm debating using it with my kindergarteners next week. I think they'd love trying to make the "POP" sound with their thumb in their mouth. Strangely, lollipops have become rather ubiquitous in pop culture this year in both countries that I've been living in.

Whenever something like this happens I'm always curious as to whether some secret information has been shared or stolen amongst the successes. I thought I'd put the three videos together for a serious round of listening. I can't really say what's so great about a lollipop besides that it is fun to say and it has some questionable symbolic connotations. And a lollipop is a sweet treat that we all can relate to.

The other "Lollipop" song is a collaboration of Korea's most popular boy band, Big Bang, and the girls from 2NE1. It's an energetic and fun video and should be delightfully foreign for anyone not used to Korean pop (though not nearly as silly as many of Korea's advertisements). The third lollipop belongs to Lil' Wayne. It glorifies the things that most American hip hop glorifies (curvy women and expensive things), while incorporating LW's avert desire to be a rock star (though he already is one). I think there might be some sort of progression here starting with the somewhat stagnant and probably repressed Chordettes in the 50s, then to a culture opening up to free expression and dancing with Big Bang, then maxing out on sexuality and materialism at Lil' Wayne. You be the boss.

The Chordettes


Big Bang (빅뱅)


Lil' Wayne


Pop culture is weird sometimes.